Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Noise of Failure Growing Beautiful

There is a poem that Anne Lammot quotes in her writing book Bird by Bird by Bill Holm that reads as follows:

Music of Failure

Above me, wind does its best
to blow leaves off the Aspen
tree a month too soon. No use,
wind, all you succeed in doing
is making music, the noise of
failure growing beautiful.


She cites it as an encouragement to one of her writing students who, despite his best efforts, wrote something that was, well, bad. I think every artist creates something bad more often than they create something of beauty. But maybe the process itself can become a form of beauty. Maybe it is enough to write or draw or weld metal into jewelry every day. That's what this blog is about: the journey of art.

I can't promise it will always be interesting, but it will be honest. Thus begins my chronicles of being a writer. Hear me bleed.

1 comment:

  1. Truth being stranger than fiction, honesty must always be interesting ~ at least, I know I am bound to find much of interest here! Thanks for the invite, and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete