Monday, May 24, 2010

A Foray into Fantasy

While at a graduation party last Saturday, I had an encounter with the man who inspired my character, Daschall. He's the kind, academic Uncle who raised my protagonist by himself in an enchanting old bungalow.

Lauren is the father of my friend Elaine (the happy graduate). He doesn't have a college degree, and he doesn't speak Latin, but he is truly one of the most intelligent and curious men I have ever met. At fifteen, I regarded him with a distant sort of awe. He was the only adult I knew who had a room designated for writing. He had earrings, and he didn't go to church. I found this completely fascinating! And now, I hope he will fascinate other teens through my novel.

We were talking fantasy books because I told him about a particular teen who I was forever trying to find more books for at the library I work at. He recommended an author named Gene Wolfe. We were wikipedia-ing him (yes, that is now a verb), and we came across this wonderful quote:

"All novels are fantasies. Some are just more honest about it."

That is the thought I leave with you today.


1 comment:

  1. I prefer the shortened version of the verb: to wiki! As in, we were wikying ...

    ReplyDelete