Friday, March 4, 2011

Untitled

I have begun writing a new novel that does not have a title yet. It is the story of Tana, who has been born to the life of a Diviner. She can see the future when she flips over the cards of her tarot deck, but she has come to an impasse. Her mother and the other Diviners get much of their power from sexual energy, and Tana cannot find any desire within herself to take a lover the way her mother has done.

After a painful sexual experiment with a boy from her hometown, Tana runs away to work in boutique far away from home. It is there that she meets a girl named Rachel with a wily sense of a humor and a smile that, much to Tana's surprise, makes her heart race.

Working on this novel has been fascinating, exhilarating, and sometimes heart wrenching. Dear friends and other writers have agreed to read it and have offered help and feedback that has made my daily grind much easier and productive. I have ventured on the daunting task of researching the reactions of other women who have had similar emotional experiences to those I write about in this novel. The women who have agreed to talk to me have shared such deeply personal and difficult memories with me. I am continually in awe of their bravery.

Every day this project reminds me of why I identify myself as a writer. I love this story and I love working on it. I hope that I will be able to finish it and maintain the same perspective. I think writing is such a journey, and moving on to another project is extremely affirming and interesting for me.

The most pressing part of this project as of late is to think up a title. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I like the name "Tana" for a title . . . but then, maybe the title will be the final finishing touch, and you'll know when it's written :)

    ReplyDelete